Friday, July 16, 2010

Morning Shake

Don't we just love Fridays? There's something special about this day of the week. We anticipate a get-together with friends, plan a little shopping excursion, or, simply look forward to a few extra hours of sleep. Fridays create a happy outlook, in welcome contrast to the controlling regimen of the workweek. On the weekend **I** am in charge! I decide what I do. I even get to go to church. Yup, the weekend is about power. It's about control. 

So how much "control" do we really have in our lives? Case in point. When the ground under my house started moving shortly after 5 am today--was I in control?? The 3.6 magnitude earthquake that rattled the DC area this morning was not a part of my plans, or anyone else's. But it happened! I was sitting at my kitchen table. When the rumbling started, I looked outside, wondering why the trash truck was making so much noise! It was all over in 20 seconds, and I forgot about it, until a friend asked me a few hours later if I had felt it. 

The point is simple. We plan and map out our day. We anticipate things based on our priorities. But the reality is that God is categorically in control of not only our weekend, but our entire existence. It's great to have plans, but we should always live with the understanding of His power and ability to orchestrate the events of life and to alter our to-do lists according to His Master Plan. When we submit to HIS will--the unanticipated and often misunderstood events in life may surprise us, but they won't leave us shaking because we know Who's got the whole world--even my world--in His hands. Love you guys. PM

No comments:

Post a Comment