Sunday, August 16, 2009

Real Love

The word "love" is perhaps one of the most misconstrued in the English language. Right now I can't think of another that has so many uses--correct or incorrect--in so many disciplines. For example, "love" expressed in the context of marriage is vastly different than that between siblings. The same could be said in contrasting the love between a parent and a child with that between and individual and an object such as a home, a career or even a country.

Then there are those casual, often frivolous utterances of the word in everyday life. "I love this color," or "Don't you just love that show?" Same word, different meaning. Or how about the many ways, levels and formats the word is used to express affection to an individual? "I really love you," or "Much love."

Even in text language, options abound: "Luvya. LU. I<3u."

Those who study the Word of God know that our English representation, "love," has several meanings and even shades of meaning in the original languages. So it's not surprising that in English there would be different usages and interpretations of this very common word, which, by the way, is often misunderstood. Still, the Bible is quite clear about love as it relates to God:

"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." I John 4:8

That pretty much sums it up. To not possess love is evidence of not "possessing" God, because God is love. It doesn't say here that "God loves" or "God has love." It says of God that He is love. So simply put, I cannot truly love in this sense without God. All of the secular definitions, though perhaps charitable and well-meaning, fall woefully short of the essence of love.

I can't really love my wife without God. I can't really love my children without God. I can't really love my friends, you got it, without God. Call it affection, care, emotion or strong "like." But without God and His working in my spirit, you and I do not have the capacity for true love.

Maybe a better understanding would make us more cautious in our use of the word. Or, perhaps a better understanding would cause us to more fervently exercise true love through the power of God and example of Jesus Christ:

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

With all of the potential discussion about real love we can, at the very least, take from this verse the fact that there are degrees of love. The highest degree and prime example of this is found at the Cross. For it is there that we witness the pinnacle of expression of all that love could ever be. In no other time--past or future--would an utterance of love be more unmistakable and understood.

How humbling it is to think of Jesus' love for me! And to think, He loves me despite my "unlovableness." But what a responsibility as well. If His love is the "greatest," then that tells me that mine can at least be "greater." And as God is love, the more I allow Him to control my life the more, or greater, my love for Him and others will be.

Practically speaking (or, in my humble opinion, so for what it's worth) a source of evidence of our love for others is found in the willingness to bear their pain. If I'd be willing to take your licks, to have your suffering superimposed in my life, then you have proof of my love for you. Plain and simple. Isn't that what Jesus did for us? Absolutely. He didn't just say it. He showed it.

And how much do I really love you? Hmm. That depends on how much I'm prepared to give up for you. If my answer is "nothing," then I'm not a lover but a liar.

"If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us." I John 4:12

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully said my friend! As I was reading, I couldn't help but think that the only reason I love Him, is because He first loved me. And I believe the only way I can truly love others is to allow Jesus to love through me. "Oh how He loves you and me....He gave His life, what mmore could He give, oh how He loves you and me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. Hollywood has so influenced our culture (including believers) as to what true love is that it is impossible to be reminded enough by looking into scripture as to what God's definition of love is. Being that He is the one that created us, knows exactly what will bring us true satisifacion and contentment, and fill our deepest desires........it is probably not a bad idea to, by faith, practice the truths given to us in His word. Love really is a choice, a volitions act of our will.....not a feeling. If we want to feel right, we must do right first. Love demands complete surrender of our lifetime membership to the "I gotta feel it first club." This was ultimately demonstrated by Christ when He said, "not my will, but thine be done." He no doubt knew what was approaching and did not feel like going to the cross.......but he humbled himself, and became obedient. Oh that we can manifest more of His spirit in us as we do life every day. We all need to pray for obedience in our lives...not victory. If we are obedient, victory will follow.( reference The Pursuit of Holiness) For I am crucified with Christ! For me to live is Christ! Jesus came not just so we can have life...but so we can have it abundantly! So your statement of lover vs. liar....is proven not by what we say, but by what we do. May God help us all to be doers of the word and not hearers (and talkers) only......

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We all need to pray for obedience in our lives...not victory." I've never gotten over that since you first shared that with me, Dougie. As the verse you quoted adds, we already HAVE victory. Why pray for it? Pray for obedience. Thanks for the comments from two guys of whom I can honestly say, I love. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete